While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Status Report: Week Fourteen

Week Fourteen – The Stats

Weekly word count: 19,581

Average: 2,797 words per day (compared to 1,806 last fortnight)

Most productive day: Tuesday 25 March, 3,576 words

Least productive day: Sat 22 and Sun 23 March, 8 words (noted in my journal for 8x31 story… to be completed tomorrow)

Year-to-date: 258,278

For the first time since week Week Eight, my average word count for the week has exceeded the magical 2,732 words per day. Five sub par weeks is precisely why I have a two day deficit to make up somewhere. It’s hard enough keeping pace (I blew out this weekend after nutting out some good numbers during the week), so not that optimistic at the mo.

On the plus side, during the week I got two pieces accepted for publication, one in print, one online. It’s always feast of famine with these things. Nothing for two months, then two in two days. The print publication was the story I mentioned a few weeks ago that I submitted in July 2007 and had given up on. Any news like that bouys the spirits (and the requirement to write bio notes helps the word count).

I’m still waiting for the results of two competitions I entered, one of which was supposed to be announced in March (I’ve Googled my darndest, but I doesn’t look like an announcement has been made).

Anyway.

Status report for Week Fourteen: still going. That’s all I really needed to say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep trucking rocket!

Rachael King said...

What a mad experiment. I love it. I could get quite obsessed with doing all those graphs, except the difference between you and me is that I would probably do all those graphs instead of writing.

I heard (and I am probably getting teh details wrong, but this is the gist) that Janet Frame once had a notebook with three columns in it: word target, actual words, excuse.

Thanks, you've given me another distraction.

Craig Cliff said...

Hi Rachael

Nice to see you here. I've been reading your blog since you arrived in Chch... I nodded a lot during your Friday Moan.

I'd never heard that about Janet Frame, but it sounds about right. I might keep an excuse column this week as a kind of homage.

Craig