While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Status Report: Week Thirty-Seven (and Thirty-Eight, sort of)

We leave for eight days in Greece tomorrow, so I’m doing my status report early this week. Obviously, taking Sunday (on average my most productive day in 2008) and the it’s less productive sibling Saturday out of the mix, my word count is far from impressive.

But even if I wasn’t setting out for the Cyclades, I suspect I would have found many other things to do beside write.

First, there was the move on Thursday after work. Still unpacking boxes and sorting and accustoming ourselves to our new flat. In fact, I still haven’t decided where I’ll be doing my writing. It’s a one bedroom flat, and a compact one at that, with no desk to speak of. At the moment I’m typing this on the half dining room table, despite the fact there is no dining room, just a patch of carpet between the couch and kitchen. Once I’ve sorted my posi out, I’ll post some photos so you all can compare and contrast with the old set up.

Second, the monkey is off my back. My short story collection is in the post.

Funny thing is, I suddenly have four or five new stories I want to write. And a new idea for a novel. I no longer suspect it, I believe: The Muses can be tricked. Next time I’m at a loss for something to write, I’ll open every ‘work in progress’ file on my computer with the intention of finishing some of them (ha!) and wham, new ideas.

Hopefully the Muses aren’t reading this…

Who’s for some numbers?


Week Thirty-Seven – The Stats

Weekly Wordcount: 10,031 words (compared to 15,934words last week)
Average: 1,433 words per day based on a 7 day week;2,006 words per day based on a 5 day week
Most productive day: Wednesday 10 September, 3,372 words
Least productive day: Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 September, zero words
Year-to-date: 597,470 words (107,448 words behind target)



And while I’m at it, here’s what Week Thirty-Eight will look like:


Weekly Wordcount: 0 words (compared to 10,031 words last week)
Average: 0 words per day
Most productive day: N/A
Least productive day: Mon-Sun
Year-to-date: 597,470 words (126,574 words behind target)


I was in a good mood when I started this post.

I’m sure I’ll be in a good mood when I start my next post.

Yassas!



No comments: