While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Status Report: Week Ten

Ten Weeks. My my.

I finished my awful six-week temp job last Friday and started a new six-month assignment on Monday. This one is far more taxing (but that wouldn’t be hard), and coupled with the fact I had a serious cold for most of the week, I’m happy to have knocked out as many words as I did. I’m not sure how I’m going to last another six months using my brain for 7+ hours at work, then doing another 4-5hours at home.

A week or two between jobs would have gone down a treat (I'm ready to crack on with Novel B, I think).

The buffer (i.e. the difference between my word count and the target word count based on an average 2,732 words per day) is still healthy, but four days in Norway over Easter will wipe that out. Those damn fjords better be worth it.

This million words thing is no doddle… I know that much after ten weeks.

Week Ten – The Stats

Weekly word count: 18,633

Average: 2,662 words per day (compared to 2,612 last week)

Most productive day: Thursday 6 March, 4,615 words

Least productive day: Wednesday 5 March, 1,371 words

Year-to-date: 196,497

The massive “other” wedge this week consists of words spent reviewing other people’s writing (on Zoetrope and people in my writing group), creating the site for Xyzphage, and the usual smattering of emails worthy of historical preservation by my esteemed biographer(s).

No comments: