While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

The drum roll has begun.


I have one day of paid employment left. It will probably contain far less than a normal day's work as my replacement is pretty well trained up, and an early knock off is likely as people need time to "dress to impress" (that's the dress code according to the invite) for our Christmas Party in the evening.

The earliest I will be in paid employment again is April 2009. I wouldn't like to go much longer than that (especially with the constant devaluing of the GBP in the places we want to spend it!), but who knows how long it takes to find a job during such times as these?

Whatever it is, I sure hope it's permanent. If it wasn't for my nights spent writing, my days spent reconciling one penny transactions would have driven me balmy. Balmier, perhaps.

What am I looking forward to most about not working? No more papercuts? The chance to write full-time for two weeks? The months of travelling that will follow? No, right now is just the thought of being able to sleep in during these sub-zero mornings the arctic is inflicting on us. And when I do need to venture outside, it will be in comfortable shoes. Ah. Don't let anyone tell you I'm a man of complicated needs.

Or complicated tastes...

[my favourite sign from Tallinn]


No comments: