While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Great Moments in Shuffle #2

Bob Dylan – ‘All Along the Watchtower’

Jimi Hendrix – ‘All Along the Watchtower’


FOOTNOTE: My iPod did not see fit to throw up either Paul Weller’s version of ‘All Along the Watchtower’ (from Studio 150) or The Fratellis’ (from the Radio 1 Establish 1967 compilation). That would have just been too trippy.

What’s strange is that I have four versions of this one Dylan song, which is okay, but isn’t his best by a long way. Dylan himself said that Hendrix’s version was superior (the only cover of one of his songs which he bestowed this honour upon, at the time)… and yet the Weller and Fratellis versions hark back to the Dylan more than the Hendrix. I guess no one wants to stand in Hendrix’s aural shadow. A pity, I think.

No comments: