While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Status Report: Week Three

Today I heard two songs mentioning Lichtenstein – Warren Zevon’s ‘Seminole Bingo’ and Fountains of Wayne’s ‘New Routine’. I’ve been to Lichtenstein (& took this photo). It doesn’t really deserve to be mentioned in any more songs.

With that public service announcement out of the way, time for week three’s status report.

Well, looking at the numbers, it wasn’t too shabby. But as I alluded to yesterday, I haven’t really been rocking the fiction boat. In fact, fiction only took up a third of my words this week, with much more being spent on non-fiction. If any one goes through the effort of counting how many words I’ve posted on this blog and how many I’ve attributed towards my weekly word counts, you’ll see something is off. This is because some entries take a few days and a few false starts. I’ve been trying to write something about cover versions all week, but it just hasn’t crystallised yet.

The real story is I wrote only 359 words on what is supposedly my main project (Novel A). So thumbs down there, but otherwise, the numbers look healthy.

Week Three – The Stats

Wordcount: 22,409 words

Average: 3,201 words per day (compared to 2,205 last week, though I did go to Spain for the weekend)

Most productive day: Wednesday 16 Jan, 4,426 words (the day before starting work)

Least productive day: Thursday 17 Jan, 1,806 words (the day I started work)

Year-to-date: 58,185 words (a day and a bit ahead of target [54,845])

Note: "Other" consisted of emails to individuals (I'm sticking to that 'email=letter writing=part of a writer's work' theory for now) and actual letters (cold contact and luke warm contact approaches for jobs... I can't be a file clerk for ever).

Resolution for week four: more fiction!

No comments: