While living and working in Edinburgh in 2008 I set out to write one million words in 366 days... but only managed 800,737.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Status Report: Week Four

I just noticed that I went a whole week with two posts called “Status Report: Week Two”, even though these two posts are seven days apart and the latter has stats and graphs referring to Week 3.

I have fixed the oversight now.

Still, it feels like Week 4 has snuck up on me.

To mix things up, let’s get right into the stats:

Week Four – The Stats

Wordcount: 21,611 words

Average: 3,087 words per day (compared to 3,201 last week)

Most productive day: Saturday 26 Jan, 5,260 words (first day over 5,000 words!!! Today is the second!!!)

Least productive day: Tuesday 22 Jan, 1,577 words (no excuses)

Year-to-date: 79,796 words (that’s a two day buffer against slackness and/or travel)

So, after a string of under-par weekdays, I made up for it with unprecedented numbers in the weekend.

Sadly, if I was suddenly without work again, I would not be able to crank out 5,000 words seven days a week. That’s just not the way it works. Even with a new novel on the go, as alluded to on Thursday.

The other point of note is that fiction made up three-quarters of this week’s word count compared to only a third of week three’s pie. The 75:25 split is about right, I think. Hopefully I have enough ideas to keep the fiction rolling.

Oh, well, it’s off to bed for me. Big day of filing ahead of me tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice work cheeks.
saw me first last night - kicked arse. you should write summat about covers bands!